Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog Post 8

Internet




This Is How We Dream

In part one of the video, Richard Miller starts by expressing his love for books. He talks about how he grew up in a house that was filled with books. He states that he “dreamed of a career involving working with books.” Miller stated “the result of a career working with books is a book.”The book that Richard Miller wrote is now sold on Amazon for 59 cents. Miller goes on to talk about the differences of writing today compared to writing in his younger years. We do not need libraries or pen and paper; most of the information we need we do not even have to pick up a book to find because it is all on the internet.

Miller mentioned that he was asked to write an article in response to the one year anniversary of the killings at Virginia Tech. He stated that he did not even have to go to the library to find information, all the information that he needed and used was found on the internet. Richard Miller goes on to talk about how the internet is great and fast way to post his lectures. He states that without the internet, it could take up to two years to be published. With the internet, Miller, as well as anyone else, can post their lectures within just a few hours.

In the second part of the video, Miller talks about the building at the University that he has taught in for the past sixteen year. He states that it is a building “designed for automobiles”, because the parking lot is in the center of the building. He goes on to talk about the “green building” that he and his collaborator had created which would combine the best of the Humanities and the best of the Sciences. This “green building” would be sustainable and solar powered. Miller states that the internet is a great way to share dreams such as his “green building” with the world and to get the ideas out there. I believe that I am prepared to write with multimedia and I believe that my students will be able to do this as well.




Blog Post #12 by Carly Pugh

I found Carly Pugh’s blog post very interesting. Her idea was so cool! In her blog post, she creates an assignment in which the students must create a youtube playlist which included ten videos that describe what the student’s philosophy as a teacher is. She gives many ideas of what types of videos the student can add to their playlist. Carly even made her own playlist in which she stated, “Good teachers teach by example”. She also left many links in her blog to help the student understand why the assignment was created. Carly’s assignment is much like Richard Miller’s because they both show how the internet can be used to obtain knowledge.



EDM310 Is Different

I really enjoyed watching the Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies. I thought that both videos made great points and were pretty funny. The thing that stuck out to me the most in the chipper series was the subject of procrastination. I used to be the worst when it came to procrastination, but I have learned that procrastination is a huge no-no in EDM310. I have never been behind but I sure would hate to be behind because I feel like it would be very difficult to catch up. As far as the video EDM310 for Dummies, I feel that I could be in that video sometimes. If I were to create a video for this class, I would like to create a video titled “How to Survive EDM310”. I have a lot of advice that future EDM310 students could benefit from.


Learn to Change, Change to Learn

This video is about the effect technology has on education the way students learn. The people in the video make points about how kids are using social networks, cell phones, and other things to collect data and do research. The point that was made that I really agree with is the man that said that the point is not teaching kids facts that they need to memorize, the point is to teach them to know how to figure things out. Some of the other people mentioned that the classroom needs to be a meeting place, a community, for students to share and learn ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brianne,
    The EDM310 series was my favorite from this assignment as well. It was very entertaining. The thing that always gets me with this class,like the video, is procrastination. I ALWAYS wait until the last minute. I have been late on a few assignments and it is definitely not fun playing catch up. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see that you are having a good time in EDM310 so far - I think that it is rewarding to see movies we create used in future classroom demonstrations - one of my favorite things about Dr. Strange’s class! Making these videos, and using them as examples in the classroom is exactly what the idea of a 21st century classroom entails - active, involved, hands-on learning!

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete