Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Post 6

Networked Students


The Networked Student
By: Wendy Drexler


This video is about a student at the 21st century high school. This video shows how students of the 21st century can use the internet to help them learn. The student uses Google Scholar to find websites to help him get information that he will need for his class. The students also have blogs where they can share their thoughts and have discussions with other classmates. The hope of the teachers at the 21st high school is that students will learn a lot by using the tools on the internet and that they will continue to use them even after they graduate.
Students need a teacher to be there to instruct and encourage as they learn. Even though most of the students work is individual and has to be done on their own, the teacher’s job is still the same: she is there to help the students learn and answer questions when needed.
I feel that I am ready to teach a networked student, and I feel that it would be fun to experiment with teaching a “network student.” However, I do not really like the idea of students not being taught in the classroom because I think that students can learn better when a teacher is present to assist them. My PLN is similar to the student's PLE because it contains all my academic pages as well as the social network sites I most frequently visit.


A Seventh Grader’s Personal Learning Environment

This girl seems to really know what she is talking about when it comes to getting around on the internet. She knows how to use the internet and how to apply it to her school work. I like how she is very organized and has all of the important sites she uses in specific places on her computer screen; she has a good system and she likes using it.

1 comment:

  1. "However, I do not really like the idea of students not being taught in the classroom because I think that students can learn better when a teacher is present to assist them." I would argue that there are a lot of ways to be "present." This week I have been examining several new iPad apps. If everyone in the class had an iPad we would be able to demonstrate a whole new meaning of "present." I think we do a pretty good job even without the iPads with the way EDM310 works. It will get better, however. The world is changing very fast. And so are the tools that connect us and give us "presence."

    How is your PLN coming? How does it compare to the PLE of the 7th grader?

    ReplyDelete