Saturday, September 24, 2011

Blog Post 5




Don’t Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
By: Scott McLeod

www.dangerouslyirrelevant.org

I really enjoyed reading Dr. McLeod’s blog post. His sarcasm definitely made the post even better. I feel that Dr. McLeod did a great job expressing to parents how important technology and the internet can be to their children. Parents are saying the reason they will not allow their children to use the internet is because there is too much bad stuff out there. True, but with the right protection and instruction their children will be able to learn and explore things that will only help them better their education.
Dr. Scott McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. Dr. McLeod is widely recognized as one of the nation’s leading academic experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues. He is the founding director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education. He has received many national awards for his technology leadership work, including recognitions from the cable industry, Phi Delta Kappa, and the National School Boards Association. All of the information that I have included about Dr. Scott McLeod I got from http://scottmcleod.net/bio/.


The iSchool Initiative
By: Travis Allen

www.youtube.com

I thought that Travis Allen’s iSchool idea was really neat. Although it was really interesting, I am not so sure that I like it. While Allen’s idea will save public school systems a large amount of money each year, I am just not so sure about it. The iPhone has many tool and apps on it that can be very useful to the teachers, students, and parents, but it also has some negatives.
By doing away with textbooks and making students read information from a computer cannot be very good for their eyes. I personally think that writing notes down is very beneficial to me, so I think doing away with paper would only hurt students. I feel that the iSchool idea could help in some ways, but I think that completely taking away the traditional methods of teaching is not going to help solve the problems of the educational system.



Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir
www.techliterateteacher.blogspot.com

This video was really awesome. After watching it all I could say was WOW! It is so cool that 185 people, who are in all different places around the world, can be brought together and sound so good. It is so cool to me how a person can use technology and create something so incredible like this performance. This just goes to show that you can do pretty much anything with technology.



Teaching in the 21st Century
By Kevin Roberts

www.youtube.com

This video is one that really makes you think. In this video Kevin Roberts expresses that the curriculum used in teaching today should be focused more on skill than facts and content. When teaching a concept teachers need to show how to validate and problem solve with the information. I like the point that Roberts makes, “students do not need to be entertained, they need to be engaged.” It is important for teachers to challenge their students, to get them interested, and to make them want to learn. Today students not only obtain knowledge from their teachers, but technology has allowed them to learn from searching the internet. It is the job of teachers to show students how to use and apply technology in a way that will be beneficial them. Teaching has changed so much over the years, and I think it is a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. Brianne,

    I really liked what you had to say about the "Teaching in the 21st Century" post. I can tell you really got a lot out of that video, and I did too. I think it is great that you pointed out what he said about "students don't need to be entertained, they need to me engaged." I'm pretty sure I pointed out the same thing in my blog. It seems that children these days are in constant need of entertainment with portable DVD players and nintendo DS systems everywhere. Using technology I think will engage the student on a level they are most familiar with. I also really liked your graphic at the top. It's awesome that it is an animation. Good luck with your work in this class.

    -Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your response to the question Who is Dr. McLeod? you come dangerously close to plagiarizing. You may even have technically committed it. If you copy and paste more than 5 words without acknowledgement and without putting the copied words in quotation marks, you have technically committed plagiarism. Providing the source of the material and using quotation marks for the copied material will keep you out of trouble.

    Many students copied and pasted big chunks of material found in his About Me. As a result, we will have a class discussion about plagiarism, copying and pasting. I think you can benefit from this discussion.


    McLeod: You got the sarcasm. Many students didn't and interpreted McLeod's post literally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your classmates seem to think that the iSchool is using the iPhone. The iSchool uses the iPod touch. This may not seem like a big difference but there is not texting or calling feature on the iPod Touch. I agree that immediately taking away the traditional ways of teaching is drastic, but I think it is necessary. Many teachers that are still teaching are not willing to use these new types of technology. I like the iSchool, but I think it will talk a long time for many schools to be able to adopt to it.

    The virtual choir is really great! I can't believe how this all came together. I wish everyone could have a chance to see this.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete